As a UX Designer I conduct research to understand the business and user perspective, communicate the rationale for design, seek input from the team, and design simple solutions to meet user and business needs in a way that is reasonable to implement and maintain.
My process is iterative, working incrementally towards the vision, and ensuring that the development team has what they need every step of the way.
This is a case study for a project I worked on at Expeditors, a Fortune 500 logistic company headquartered in Seattle. I was the User Experience Lead on this project. 
exp.o Visibility Reporting Redesign
Problem
exp.o Visibility is a web application for Expeditors customers to track and report on their logistics data (shipments, orders, customs entries, inventory levels and electronic document images). Due to usability and performance issues, customers would often rely on Expeditors representatives and support to provide the reports they needed (using an internal-only, legacy system), instead of using exp.o Visibility to self-serve the information. Rather getting the information they needed right away, it could sometimes take days.
We heard this first-hand from a manager at Keen Footwear during a visit to their office. He was in a meeting and attempted to create a report to share with his colleagues. The process was too cumbersome and slow, so he wound up having to go back to his desk to contact our support team to create the report for him, which took days to complete. 
Goal
The goal of this project was to transform the reporting tool in exp.o Visibility so that it's usable and functional, enables customers to self-serve the information they need, and creates a positive user experience. We tackled this by employing UX design and research best practices, usability heuristics, proven interaction patterns, and the simplest possible workflows.
Approach
This was our design approach, at a high-level:
1. Conduct initial research sprint
We validated assumptions about the system's usability. Methods used were analysis of user feedback and support tickets, contextual inquiry, and hueristic review. 
2. Research and brainstorm improved reporting workflow
We looked at existing design patterns in modern reporting tools to inform the initial wireframes and workflows. No need to reinvent the wheel!
3. Conduct first-click test
We validated the new workflow with a first-click test. In a first-click test, we present users with a scenario and see where they would click first to accomplish the task. This test helped us confirm that we were on the right track before adding more detail and features.
4. Create initial prototype and conduct usability test
We created an initial, clickable prototype and conducted usability tests with customers to further validate workflow and form controls.
5. Refine prototype and conduct a second usability test
Using feedback from the initial study, we updated the prototype and did more usability testing.  
6. Conduct mini-studies
We did some smaller studies to validate the workflow and controls around creating, running, and scheduling a report, and viewing a report's results. 
Conclusion
I left Expeditors at this point in the project, but soon after the team implemented the initial report and made it available to customers. 

Initial prototype created for usability testing.

Updated prototype using feedback from initial usability test.

Back to Top